Bonus: The journey and narrative of Pele and Hi'iaka

This presentation from the 2014 WIPCE (World Indigenous Peoples Conference on Education) returned to me as I reflected on the conclusion of 'White Chocolate and a Yama Bell.' Reminding me that my backstory grows on the legacy of Pele and Hi'iaka.  As Jay Li (from The Painted Boy) experienced it's important to 'call home.'

I mahalo my ancestors for the model of an itinerant -- a wanderer in search of her father (listen carefully to the narrative for clarification) -- found in this master story: to envision an outcome; to search, and be challenged by the battles that are internal and the most difficult of all battles. Even in the stages of elderhood, or perhaps especially as we ripen, the lessons of integrating the many facets of "me and they" have a place in the whole story.

And for you? What a conversation we could have gathered for good food, dancing and story! I envision that and invite you to dream it too.

Comments